cơm - steamed rice


 I must admit I am not always good at this. I never care enough the rice/water ratio as I never care about measuring ingredients (apart from making cake). I remember when I was about 13 year old, my mum threw chopstick and scolded, "hôm thì sống, hôm thì khê; hôm thì nát, hôm thì khô" which can be roughly translated "once uncooked, once burnt; once mushy, once dry " . I was shocked, she had never been like that especially in a meal.

That's the importance of rice when you have to eat it everyday ...

The problem with cooking rice is the rice/water ratio must be right from the start(especially for the old type of rice), you cannot adjust water later and even if you can, it wouldn't taste as good. Another problem with cooking rice is  it need a special care along the way till cooked unless you have a electric rice-cooker and that's a genius invention.Though conventional method bring out the best, 80/20 rules, I'll still go for a rice-cooker, my rice won't get too far and I can  focus on other dishes. 

Mum's generation, This earthen pot brings out the best steamed rice ever, especial if after the boiling point you cover it under dim tiny coals (in the past, we  used dry leaves, stalks, stems,wood, barks), aromatic!!!!  my old summers!!!

My generation, thick cast iron pot. After the boiling point, you douse the fire but leave the coal burnt, occasionally turn the pot. When we started using gas stove and couldn't douse fire, we put a thick piece of metal underneath ... and  rotated occasionally till cooked


and now we use this, simple adding rice,water and leave it


If you love Asian food, since most of Asian dishes are supposed to go with rice, you should have this, £12 from Argos would do the trick. Otherwise, you can learn the conventional method (my other post) OR forget all about it until you ready.

Yesterday, I thought of dishes that would go with mashed potatoes and breads ...

No comments:

Post a Comment